May 19, 2024
Nova Scotia mass shooting: New information about murder rampage delayed by government lawyers
Up to seven redacted RCMP documents were expected to be released Tuesday, but that number has now dropped sharply.
Up to seven redacted RCMP documents were expected to be released Tuesday, but that number has now dropped sharply.

Government lawyers admit they are already significantly behind the court’s schedule for releasing information about last month’s Nova Scotia shooting rampage, before they have even begun to do so.

In response to a legal challenge by media organizations for information regarding the worst spree killing in Canada’s history — the murder of 22 victims by a gunman masquerading as an RCMP officer — up to seven redacted RCMP documents were expected to be released Tuesday, according to a timetable set in court.

On Friday, however, Mark Covan, representing the Public Prosecution Service of Canada, notified a judge that only one warrant could be stripped of information that the Crown deems too sensitive in time for Tuesday’s hearing. 

“The Crown has been working diligently on vetting the ITOs,” a letter from Covan says, referencing “Information to Obtain” documents that police file when seeking judicial authorization to conduct a search of someone’s property.

“Unfortunately, because of the volume, the structure of the ITOs and the need to consult, that process is moving more slowly than expected. We have identified one ITO that, we believe, is the most comprehensive and have focused our efforts on that document. We anticipate having it ready on the 19th, but the others will take longer to complete.”

[…]

See Also:

(1) Does Security Council seat even matter now?

(2) Snowbirds will fly again, commander says — though one RCAF veteran says team’s time is past

(3) Military begins investigation into deadly Snowbird crash in B.C.

Loading